Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Olive Oil News

Happy Hump Day/ Ash Wednesday everyone! So are you giving up anything for Lent? I am not Catholic or anything, but every year I give up something for Lent. It is like a lil kicker after the New Year. Last year I gave up chocolate which I did good and lost a couple of lbs. Well I have been thinking about it all week and have finally come to a decision thanks to my cousin.

So here is the story:

I was talking to my cousin earlier, and asked for some diet recommendations. She is a RD and also works at a weight loss clinic. So she said that I should follow a low CHO diet with good fats. I also heard something shocking from her…..she said it is bad to cook with Olive Oil! That was completely different to me. She said to cook with Coconut Oil instead. Her reasoning behind this is because olive oil is unstable at high temps and causes free radicals which could lead to cancer! That was a shocker.  I looked it up and saw this article : Why it is best not to cook with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It is a good read. I will definitely be following this website.

So with all that being said, I am going to give up breads, grains, and sugar for Lent. I am also going to eat low fruits and lots of  veggies and good fats. There is one day this Lent period that I will eat sugar. That is the day I go to Nashville next week with my sister. We planned on going to this pop place that she has been wanting to go to for a long time….so I will be going. One thing that I will not include in this is wine. I will be drinking my yummy delicious wine!

source

 

Well wish me luck on this….hopefully once and for all I will lose this weight!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are on to something as well. ;) I am anxious to hear how it goes, and I think you'll be feeling pretty good come Easter.

    I tried giving up grains but was miserable. So, I eat them, but I do and avoid wheat, and you know I love my fat. But yep, never cook with olive oil, only coconut oil or real butter. Mmm, butter.

    So, what's this pop place? Am I missing out?

    ReplyDelete